ACM-W Rising Star Award Nomination
The ACM-W Rising Star Award recognizes a woman whose early-career research has had a significant impact on the computing discipline, as measured by factors such as frequent citation of their work, creation of a new research area, a high degree of technology transfer and/or other positive influences and societal impact. The award will be given annually, and the recipient will receive a framed certificate and $1,000 stipend.
- Nominations will open on October 1, 2019 and close on November 15, 2019.
- One award recipient will be selected by January 31, 2020.
- Must be an ACM Member at the time of nomination
- Must be within 10 years of receiving her terminal degree
- Must NOT have previously received the Rising Star Award
Self-nominations are welcomed. Transwomen and non-binary applicants are also welcomed to apply.
- The candidate will have achieved early career visibility in her field of Computing as evidenced by publication citation counts, news media coverage, inventions, or other demonstrable measures of societal impact.
- Applicants from interdisciplinary fields within Computing (e.g., Bioinformatics, Human-Computer Interaction, Data Science, etc.) are welcomed to apply. However, the technical contributions made to the field of Computing must be emphasized in the application.
Required Application Materials:
- Please complete the application form (If you are unable to login to a Google account to submit this nomination form, please email email@example.com for alternative ways to submit your nomination.)
- Two letters of endorsement. A third letter will be considered, if provided
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Does the nominee have to have a Ph.D. or be in academia to be eligible?
We welcome applicants from academia, industry, and governmental positions. Therefore, a Ph.D. is not required. However, we restrict eligibility to within 10 years of one’s terminal degree to make sure that we are recognizing early career women, rather than mid to late-career professionals in Computing.
- What is the process for selecting an award recipient?
The awardee will be chosen by five selection committee members. Four committee members will vote on candidates, and in the event of a tie between two or more candidates, the committee chair’s vote will serve as a tiebreaker. Applicants will not receive feedback on their applications but will be notified of the winner in February 2020.
- How will the recipient receive the award?
The winner will be recognized at an ACM conference of their choosing, pending the approval of the program committee for that conference. The ACM-W Chair or his/her designee will be in attendance to present the award. If the recipient would like to receive the award at a non-ACM sponsored conference, that would need to be discussed with the ACM-W Chair and the respective conference chairs.
Restrictions: Per ACM’s conflict of interest policy, ACM-W Rising Star Selection Committee Members are not eligible to apply for this award, nor are they permitted to nominate or endorse any candidates.
Acknowledgements: We would like to thank Andrea Goldsmith for her donation, which was used to establish this award.