ACM Celebrations of Women in Computing
ACM Celebrations of Women in Computing connect technical women who are working/studying within a particular geographical location – with locations that could be a single city, a state or group of states, a country, or several countries. These conferences build community and break down feelings of isolation. Our intention is to reach the broadest possible populations through an international network of self-sustaining small conferences, dovetailing when possible with ACM-W chapters.
Requirements for Celebrations
- Events must be branded with ACM in the title of your Celebration or as a subtitle. For example, “The ACM Northwest Celebration of Women in Computing” or “The Northwest Celebration of Women in Computing, An ACM Celebration”. This must be clearly indicated on your website and on promotional materials.
- The event must be at least one full day in length (preferably longer) and feature speakers or workshop leaders from diverse backgrounds.
- Include attendees from a diverse population — that is, from more than one area or school.
- Although all events are different, your event ideally should contain speakers, panels, workshops, a career fair and opportunities for student presentations
ACM-W provides $3,000 for each celebration, and also collects, tracks and disburses corporate sponsorship. Each celebration organizing committee is responsible for additional fundraising within their conference area. The goal is to keep the costs as low as possible for student attendees, with registration fees in the $0-$50 USD range.
Support ACM-W provides affiliated Celebration
- Use of ACM registration application
- ACM web site hosting for celebration site.
- ACM will also hold conference funds, pay invoices, and review venue contracts.
- ACM contract review and liability insurance
- Sponsorship support by ACM-W.
- Advice and support from those who have organized events in the past
Not convinced yet? Check out…
- General info Flyer (pdf)
- Creating a Celebration (pdf)
- Regional Celebrations-in-a-Box: Connecting Communities of Technical Women
- A resource developed with the National Center for Women and Information Technology (NCWIT)
- 101 Ideas for Planning Celebrations
- Process for starting an ACM-W Celebration
Recent Celebrations Reports and Announcements
- 5 Reasons to Join Us at womENcourage 2021womENcourageTM 2021 that is going to be virtual (coordinated from Prague, Czech Republic), 22-24 September, 2021.The slogan of this year’s event is “Bridging Communities to Foster Innovation”.
- Kentucky Community Colleges Women in Computing (KYCCWIC)Contact: Carmen Gaskins, firstname.lastname@example.org DATES: 2021-09-09 – 2021-09-10 WEBSITE: https://kyccwic.org/ LOCATION: Virtual REGION: North America Kentucky Community College Women in Computing (KYCCWIC) is a regional ACM-W Celebration of Women in Computing. KYCCWIC connects technical women who are working/studying in Kentucky. This conference, “Embrace Change and Achieve Success”, gives women an opportunity to learn from leaders in various […]
- Report on ACM W India Pune Professional Chapter Virtual Regional CelebrationA virtual ACM W regional celebration India was organised by ACM W Pune Professional chapter in association with Pimpri Chinchwad College of Engineering on 3rd March 2021
- NYCWiC-Virtual CelebrationThe New York Celebration of Women in Computing 2021 (NYCWiC’21) was held virtually on April 9-10, 2021. Organizers used a combination of real-time interaction through Gather, Zoom, and Slack.
- Virtual ACM Celebrations of Women in ComputingIt has been a whole year since the pandemic suddenly changed our lives. Uncertainty has been the major obstacle hindering us from making plans. We never lost our hopes for a brighter future and the additional responsibilities that came with the pandemic kept us busier than ever. Vaccinations starting around the globe are helping to keep our hopes at the same level. All activities requiring mobility either turned out to be organized online or postponed to an unknown date. It looks like the war against COVID19 is going to continue. Until everybody feels safe, online events will continue. For those who have not lost their hopes but would like to stay on the safe side we want to share our suggestions for virtual celebrations.