Celebrations of Women in Computing
ACM Celebrations of Women in Computing connect technical women who are working/studying within a particular geographical location – with locations that could be a single city, a state or group of states, a country, or several countries. These conferences build community and break down feelings of isolation. Our intention is to reach the broadest possible populations through an international network of self-sustaining small conferences, dovetailing when possible with ACM-W chapters.
Regional ACM-W Celebrations
Please visit the site for your region for details on participating in or hosting ACM-W Affiliated Celebrations.
General Requirements for Celebrations
- Events must be branded with ACM in the title of your Celebration or as a subtitle. For example, “The ACM Northwest Celebration of Women in Computing” or “The Northwest Celebration of Women in Computing, An ACM Celebration”. This must be clearly indicated on your website and on promotional materials.
- The event must be at least one full day in length (preferably longer) and feature speakers or workshop leaders from diverse backgrounds.
- Include attendees from a diverse population — that is, from more than one area or school.
- Although all events are different, your event ideally should contain speakers, panels, workshops, a career fair and opportunities for student presentations
ACM-W provides $3,000 for each celebration, and also collects, tracks and disburses corporate sponsorship. Each celebration organizing committee is responsible for additional fundraising within their conference area. The goal is to keep the costs as low as possible for student attendees, with registration fees in the $0-$50 USD range.
Support for ACM-W Affiliated Celebrations
- Use of ACM registration application
- ACM web site hosting for celebration site
- ACM will also hold conference funds, pay invoices, and review venue contracts
- ACM contract review and liability insurance
- Sponsorship support by ACM-W
- Advice and support from those who have organized events in the past
Not convinced yet? Check out…
- General info Flyer (pdf)
- Creating a Celebration (pdf)
- Regional Celebrations-in-a-Box: Connecting Communities of Technical Women
- A resource developed with the National Center for Women and Information Technology (NCWIT)
- 101 Ideas for Planning Celebrations
- Process for starting an ACM-W Celebration
Recent Celebrations Reports and Announcements
- Get Ready for womENcourage™ 2023: Europe Gears Up to Celebrate Women in ComputingThe 10th ACM Celebration of Women in Computing: womENcourage™ 2023 will be hosted by the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) in Trondheim, Norway, 20-22 September 2023.This year’s theme is Computing Connecting Everyone. Computing is a powerful way to connect people with diverse backgrounds, ambitions, passions, personalities, and cultures, from academia and industry, in … Read more
- Indo European ACM Celebration of Women in ComputingThe first Indo-European ACM Celebration of Women in Computing: A Decade Celebration was virtually held on June 22, 2023. ACM-W Global Chair Ruth Lennon welcomed the participants with her inspiring speech; ACM-W India Chair Heena Timani and ACM-W Europe Chair Rukiye Altin, followed by giving an overview of activities carried out in their respective regions. … Read more
- Spotlight on Trondheim ACM-W Professional ChapterACM-W would like to spotlight the Trondheim ACM-W Professional Chapter this month through an interview with Dr. Letizia Jaccheri. Dr. Jaccheri is a Professor at the Department of Computer Science at Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) and the General Co-chair of WomenENcourage 2023. Why did you decide to form an ACM-W Professional Chapter? One … Read more
- Ohio Celebration of Women in Conference (OCWiC) 2023!It’s a wrap! The Ohio Celebration of Women in Computing (OCWiC) occurred on February 24th & 25th, 2023, at Sawmill Creek Resort in Huron, Ohio. Except for 2021, due to the pandemic, this celebration has occurred every odd year since its inception in 2005. The event was organized by Ohio’s ACM-W OCWIC Professional Chapter and … Read more
- ACM-W India Decade CelebrationTheme: Women in Computer Science Research ACM W India celebrated its 10th anniversary with a special decade celebration on February 10th, 2023, at the Oriental Institute of Science and Technology, Bhopal. ACM-W India Decade Celebration was dedicated to sharing knowledge, wisdom, expertise and information. The event started with a welcome address by Dr Hina Timani … Read more