ACM-W Connections Archive
Contents At A Glance
Welcome from the ACM-W Chair
- Greetings from the ACM-W Chair – September 2022
Welcome to this edition of the ACM-W Newsletter. Today we thank all of the members of the ACM-W from around the world for their continued support. The ACM-W has grown in scale and diversity over the years, strengthening our mission to support, celebrate and advocate internationally for the full engagement of women in all aspects of the computing field. As we continue to grow, we face new challenges. we must strengthen our communities and build our leadership across our community to face these challenges together.
I would to take this opportunity to thank Reyyan Ayfer for her long dedicated service to the ACM-W. Her work in establishing the ACM-W Europe has led to many initiatives which have benefitted our members far and wide. As we celebrate the 10th Anniversary of ACM-W Europe, we welcome the new ACM-W Europe Chair, Rukiye Altin. We hope you will join us in our celebrations which run throughout the year.
I am also delighted to introduce Nutan Limaye as our new Regional Activities Co-Chair. Nutan brings a strong knowledge of the activities of the ACM-W and new ideas for the development of our regions. We welcome our new leadership and team members across regions. We invite you to apply for roles in our team as they arise. Join us in making an impact through the promotion of diversity, inclusion and a sense of belonging for all of our members.
Thank you for your continued support and commitment to diversity.
Ruth G. Lennon
- Announcing the New ACM-W “Above and Beyond Scholarship” projecton September 20, 2022
We are delighted to introduce “Above and Beyond Scholarship”, a special project focused on the ACM-W Scholarships Program. The ACM-W Scholarships provide support for women undergraduate and graduate students in Computer Science and related programs to attend computing research conferences. The project aims to follow up on the historical scholarship data since its inception in
- Scholarships Chair – Apply by September 30on September 15, 2022
ACM-W is seeking applicants for the next ACM-W Scholarships Chair. Come join us and be part of an energetic team of leaders for an organization supporting, celebrating, and advocating for women in computing around the world. The ACM-W’s Scholarship Award Program provides support for women undergraduate and graduate students in Computer Science and related programs
- Celebrations Chair – Apply by September 30on September 15, 2022
ACM-W is seeking applicants for the next ACM-W Celebrations Chair. Come join us and be part of an energetic team of leaders for an organization supporting, celebrating, and advocating for women in computing around the world. ACM Celebrations of Women in Computing connect technical women who are working/studying within a particular geographical location – with
- Welcome to our new ACM-W Newsletter Editor!on September 13, 2022
Taneea S Agrawaal will be the next ACM-W Newsletter Editor, effective September 2022. Taneea is a PhD student in the Computer Science Department at University of Toronto, Canada. She completed her Bachelors in Technology from IIIT Delhi, India in 2018, and worked as an Engineering Associate at Goldman Sachs, India before starting her graduate study
- Welcome to our new ACM-W Regional Activities Co-Chair!on September 8, 2022
Dr Nutan Limaye will be the next Regional Activities Co-Chair of ACM-W, effective September 2022. Dr Limaye is an associate professor in the Computer Science Department at IT University of Copenhagen, Denmark. Before this, she was an associate professor in the Department of Computer Science and Engineering, IIT Bombay, India. She finished her PhD at the Institute
Celebrations, Webinars, Events
- Blockchain technology is a mysterious topic for many. Is it a network? A database? A cryptography algorithm? Is it the same as cryptocurrency? In episode 10 of “ACM-W Celebrating Technology Leaders,” we aimed to demystify blockchain technology with the help of leading women technologists in the field. The panellists for this session were: ♦ Lisa […]
- by Alexia Giouroukou The 4th Summit on Gender Equality in Computing (GEC’22) took place in Thessaloniki on June 16th -17th, 2022. GEC’22 summit was opened with the welcome talks from Efstratios Stylianidis (Vice-Rector for Research and Lifelong Learning of Aristotle University in Thessaloniki) and Panagiota Fatourou (chair of the Greek ACM-W Chapter). The first keynote […]
- Starting this year, the Greek ACM-W Chapter, with the support of the ACM Europe Research Visibility working group (ACM Europe RAISE), organizes a series of annual winter schools, on timely computer science related topics. The main goal of the school is to offer the opportunity to young computer science professionals to learn, interact and make […]
- Submitted by Abigail Oppong, Ashesi University ACM-W Student Chapter, GhanaEdited by Jennifer Goodall, ACM-W Connections Newsletter Editor Over the years, the ACM-W Community has been very instrumental in having the activities of ACM-W in Africa. Diversity and Inclusion is key to ACM-W as we see some. Currently, there are about 18 ACM chapters from Africa […]
ACM-W Regional Reports
- Wendy Powley is an Associate Professor at Queen’s University in Kingston, Ontario, Canada. She worked for 24 years as a Research Associate at Queen’s from 1992-2016 with a focus on autonomic systems and workload management for database systems. She teaches undergraduate courses in Database Management Systems, Web Development, Ethics and Introduction to Programming courses. She […] The post ACM-W NA Profiles: Wendy Powley appeared first on ACM-W North America.
- Blanche Pinto is a Tools and Automation engineer at Apple on the macOS Bluetooth Quality team. She writes code and scripts for automation testing for Bluetooth and wifi connections within the Mac side of Apple. Blanche completed her bachelor’s and master's degrees at the University of South Florida. The post ACM-W NA Profiles: Blanche Pinto appeared first on ACM-W North America.
- Each year we meet incredible women at womENcourage™ celebrations. We ask womENcourage participants to tell their stories in blog posts. We continue 2022 with Maria Konstantinou, who was an LL.M. candidate […]
- Each year we meet incredible women at womENcourage™ celebrations. We ask womENcourage participants to tell their stories in blog posts. We continue 2022 with Sarah Carey who was studying Digital Media […]
- ACM Student Chapter Excellence Awards – Apply by March 24th It is that time of year again! The ACM Student Chapter Excellence Awards recognize outstanding ACM and ACM-W student chapters. All student chapters in good standing are encouraged to apply for this award in one or more of the following five key areas: Chapter Activities […]
- A virtual ACM W regional celebration India was organised by ACM W Pune Professional chapter in association with Pimpri Chinchwad College of Engineering on 3rd March 2021