ACM-W supports, celebrates, and advocates internationally for the full engagement of women in all aspects of the computing field, providing a wide range of programs and services to ACM members and working in the larger community to advance the contributions of technical women.
Our Corporate Supporters
We are very grateful for the support of several corporate sponsors. At present, ACM-W has funding from Oracle (through Oracle Academy), Microsoft Research, and Google for our scholarships, from Google for the Athena Lecturer Award, and continuing support from Microsoft Research for the Celebrations and for community college-related activities. Thanks to their generosity in helping us to support, celebrate and advocate for women in computing.
Welcome from the ACM-W Chair
On April 12-13, ACM-W once again hosted a group of international guests to attend the 2019 CRA-W Grad Cohort Workshop in Chicago, IL (https://cra.org/cra-w/events/grad-cohort-2019/). This year’s attendees hailed from Turkey, Pakistan, Kuwait and the Philippines. This amazing group of eight women observed the two-day event, learning much about the impact that the effort has in the lives of the graduate students who participate. As I interacted with the invited guests it was clear that they were impressed by the event they witnessed and that they hope to replicate the program in their home countries in the near future. I wish to personally thank Erik Russell, Daniela Cardenas, and Alejandra Guzman for the effort they put forward to ensure our guests had a good experience. I also want to thank the entire CRA-W Board for their continued commitment to the grad cohort program. It has truly been my pleasure to be a part of this partnership that has resulted in three global grad cohort workshops to date with the promise of many more to come.
Reminder: Seeking Nominations for ACM-W Leadership Positions
ACM-W is currently seeking nominations for leadership positions within our new organizational structure, which is scheduled to roll out July 1st, 2019. Nominations for these positions are being collected through a form accessible from our web site. Currently, we are seeking to fill the positions of Chair, ACM-W North America and Chair, Rising Star Award Committee. Please visit the web page (https://women.acm.org/leadership-opportunities/) and consider nominating yourself or another qualified person for positions of interest.
Other ACM-W News
Also appearing in this month’s newsletter:
- The ACM-W Scholarship Committee announces the recipients of the April awards.
- The 4th KYCC-WiC is highlighted in the Celebrations report.
- ACM-W Europe features the She Figures 2019 report from the European commission along with several announcements of upcoming women in computing events in Europe.
Thanks for standing with us as we work to fulfill our mission.
Students, faculty, and industry partners from across Kentucky, Indiana, and North Carolina celebrated Women in Computing (WiC) at the 4th biennial Kentucky Community College (KYCC) event at Owensboro Community and Technical College (OCTC) on March 22 – 23, 2019. This conference is the first WiC celebration event designed explicitly for community colleges.
Why You Should Join ACM-W
If you think it is important to recruit and retain as many women as possible in the computing field, you should join ACM-W! Together, we will help celebrate, inform and support women in computing:
- Celebrate: One of the most popular ways to celebrate women in computing is by starting and/or attending an ACM-W Celebration of Women in Computing; the accomplishments of women in computing are at the heart of ACM-W’s e-Newsletter. And ACM-W encourages its members to celebrate the work of prominent women by nominating them for Awards — such as the Athena Award & Lecture — as well as ACM Advanced Grade Membership.
- Inform: Via ACM-W’s student scholarship program, young women are informed about the research going on, and become acquainted with the researchers, in their field. Members of ACM-W Student Chapters are informed about the educational and career opportunities available to them.
- Support: Lend your enthusiasm, inspiration, and support to ACM-W, and help make a difference in the global computing community!
When you join ACM, or renew your membership, check the box for ACM-W. You will be added to our email list and receive our ACM-W Connection newsletter.