ACM-W supports, celebrates, and advocates internationally for the full engagement of women in all aspects of the computing field, providing a wide range of programs and services to ACM members and working in the larger community to advance the contributions of technical women.
Our Corporate Supporters
We are very grateful for the support of several corporate sponsors. At present, ACM-W has funding from Oracle (through Oracle Academy), Microsoft Research, and Google for our scholarships, from Google for the Athena Lecturer Award, and continuing support from Microsoft Research for the Celebrations and for community college-related activities. Thanks to their generosity in helping us to support, celebrate and advocate for women in computing.
Letter from ACM-W Chair
On April 1st, the ACM Council approved an organizational restructuring plan for ACM-W. The goal of the new structure is to better support global growth and strategic visioning for our organization. Over the coming months, more information about the new structure will be posted on our ACM-W web site and highlighted in the newsletter.
One of the major changes of the new structure is the formation of an ACM-W North America Committee. For several years, ACM-W Europe and ACM-W India have provided the organizational infrastructure for building ACM-W activity in those regions. The creation of ACM-W North America enables similar support for regional activity in the United States and Canada and establishes a consistent and easily replicable model for growth into other regions.
As we transition to the new structure, we will be looking to fill several leadership positions. Nominations for those positions will be collected through a form accessible from our web site. The first two leadership positions (Chair, ACM-W North America and Chair, Rising Star Award Committee) have been posted on the site and more will be added in the coming weeks. Please visit the web page (https://women.acm.org/leadership-opportunities/) and consider nominating yourself or another qualified person for positions of interest.
ACM-W Workshop, Chengdu, China
This May, ACM SIGCSE is launching the ACM Global Computing Education Conference. ACM-W will be hosting a pre-conference workshop during which attendees will learn about the activities and programs of ACM-W and encouraged to initiate efforts in their regions. If you are attending the conference and are interested in attending this workshop, you are welcome. It will be held on the afternoon of May 15th and the morning of May 16th. Specific details of time and room location in the conference venue will be distributed as they become available.
Other ACM-W News
Also appearing in this month’s newsletter:
- The ACM-W Student Chapter report has information about obtaining chapters stickers for use as swag at chapter events.
- The Professional Chapters report presents a model for building membership in a chapter.
- Highlights from MinneWiC appear in the Celebrations report.
- Read the Scholarship Committee report to learn about the impact this program has for those who receive awards.
- ACM-W India announces the 2019 ACM India Celebration of Women in Computing (AICWiC 2019).
- The ACM-W Europe report features information about ACM-W participation in an upcoming global AI summit.
Thanks for standing with us as we work to fulfill our mission.
ACM India Celebration of Women in Computing 2019 (AICWiC 2019), at Indian Institute of Technology Gandhinagar, Gujarat, India brings in a unique opportunity of collective learning, interacting with experts and peers and showcasing your work-in progress research to an enlightened audience for getting their valuable insights.
Why You Should Join ACM-W
If you think it is important to recruit and retain as many women as possible in the computing field, you should join ACM-W! Together, we will help celebrate, inform and support women in computing:
- Celebrate: One of the most popular ways to celebrate women in computing is by starting and/or attending an ACM-W Celebration of Women in Computing; the accomplishments of women in computing are at the heart of ACM-W’s e-Newsletter. And ACM-W encourages its members to celebrate the work of prominent women by nominating them for Awards — such as the Athena Award & Lecture — as well as ACM Advanced Grade Membership.
- Inform: Via ACM-W’s student scholarship program, young women are informed about the research going on, and become acquainted with the researchers, in their field. Members of ACM-W Student Chapters are informed about the educational and career opportunities available to them.
- Support: Lend your enthusiasm, inspiration, and support to ACM-W, and help make a difference in the global computing community!
When you join ACM, or renew your membership, check the box for ACM-W. You will be added to our email list and receive our ACM-W Connection newsletter.