ACM-W supports, celebrates, and advocates internationally for the full engagement of women in all aspects of the computing field, providing a wide range of programs and services to ACM members and working in the larger community to advance the contributions of technical women.
Our Corporate Supporters
We are very grateful for the support of several corporate sponsors. At present, ACM-W has funding from Oracle (through Oracle Academy), Microsoft Research, and Google for our scholarships, from Google for the Athena Lecturer Award, and continuing support from Microsoft Research for the Celebrations and for community college-related activities. Thanks to their generosity in helping us to support, celebrate and advocate for women in computing.
Letter from ACM-W Chair
Each year ACM presents the Athena Lecturer Award to a woman researcher who has made fundamental contributions to Computer Science. This year’s recipient, Andrea Goldsmith, is grateful for having received this honor and is motivated to give back to the women in computing community by establishing the ACM-W Rising Star Award. The award recognizes a woman whose early-career research has had significant impact on the computing discipline, as measured by frequent citation of the work, creation of a new research area, a high degree of technology transfer and/or other positive influences. In Andrea’s own words:
“I’m thrilled to see the ACM-W Rising Star Award, recognizing the outstanding accomplishments of young women researchers in Computer Science and related fields, come into fruition. This award is meant to boost the visibility of the most promising young women in these fields as the future leaders of our profession. I also hope that showcasing the accomplishments of these rising stars will encourage more women to enter these fields. We need their diversity of experiences and ideas to ensure our profession will continue to thrive long into the future.”
ACM-W will be establishing an awards committee that will solicit nominations for the award annually at the beginning of August. The call for nominations will appear in this newsletter, on social media channels and on the ACM/ACM-W web sites. The winner will be recognized at a conference of their choosing, pending the approval of the program committee for that conference. The ACM-W Chair or his/her designee will attend to present the award. The awardee will receive a framed certificate and $1000 stipend to be used at her discretion.
On behalf of all of ACM-W, I express my deepest appreciation to Andrea for making the ACM-W Rising Star Award possible!
Other ACM-W News
Also appearing in this month’s newsletter:
- The ACM-W Student Chapter report welcomes seven new chapters and announces the winner of the March Facebook Contest.
- Professional Chapters highlights the OCWiC (Ohio) ACM-W Professional Chapter.
- An overview of all the March Celebrations appears in the Celebrations section.
- The Scholarships Committee announces the most recent awardees.
- The contribution from ACM-W Europe highlights the high level of activity going on across Europe.
Thanks for standing with us as we work to fulfill our mission.
We’d like to welcome our new chapters at University of Alabama, SAGE University, St. Claret College, Pimpri Chinchwad College of Engineering, Kalasalingam Academy of Research and Education, Adelphi University, RCC Institute of Information Technology, and Birla Institute of Technology, Pilani – Dubai.
Why You Should Join ACM-W
If you think it is important to recruit and retain as many women as possible in the computing field, you should join ACM-W! Together, we will help celebrate, inform and support women in computing:
- Celebrate: One of the most popular ways to celebrate women in computing is by starting and/or attending an ACM-W Celebration of Women in Computing; the accomplishments of women in computing are at the heart of ACM-W’s e-Newsletter. And ACM-W encourages its members to celebrate the work of prominent women by nominating them for Awards — such as the Athena Award & Lecture — as well as ACM Advanced Grade Membership.
- Inform: Via ACM-W’s student scholarship program, young women are informed about the research going on, and become acquainted with the researchers, in their field. Members of ACM-W Student Chapters are informed about the educational and career opportunities available to them.
- Support: Lend your enthusiasm, inspiration, and support to ACM-W, and help make a difference in the global computing community!
When you join ACM, or renew your membership, check the box for ACM-W. You will be added to our email list and receive our ACM-W Connection newsletter.