ACM-W supports, celebrates, and advocates internationally for the full engagement of women in all aspects of the computing field, providing a wide range of programs and services to ACM members and working in the larger community to advance the contributions of technical women.
Our Corporate Supporters
We are very grateful for the support of several corporate sponsors. At present, ACM-W has funding from Oracle (through Oracle Academy), Microsoft Research, and Google for our scholarships, from Google for the Athena Lecturer Award, and continuing support from Microsoft Research for the Celebrations and for community college related activities. Thanks to their generosity in helping us to support, celebrate and advocate for women in computing.
Letter from ACM-W Chair
It’s the most wonderful time of the year…or so a popular holiday song claims. It certainly is one of the busiest! Like many of you, I look forward to a few weeks to pull back and relax with family and friends. While many of the projects of ACM-W will be less active in the next month, there are two big efforts that you will want to participate in if you haven’t already done so.
Final Deadline for Gender Gap Survey!
The survey project portion of A Global Approach to the Gender Gap in Mathematical, Computing, and Natural Sciences (https://icsugendergapinscience.org) will end on December 31st. The following summarizes the status of the project as of the end of November:
- Overall response goal: 45,000 scientists worldwide
- Responses as of November 30th: 26,225
- Responses from the computing community: 2876 (81% of established target)
The survey takes approximately 15 minutes to complete and can be accessed in one of seven languages, by visiting http://statisticalresearchcenter.org/global18. Participation is not limited by gender and all undergraduate students, graduate students and professionals who have worked in computing are encouraged to respond. Please ask your colleagues and peers to help us make the final push toward the target of 3557 respondents from our discipline.
Grad Cohort Funding Applications Being Accepted
ACM-W will once again sponsor teams of 2-3 people from countries outside of North America to attend the CRA-W Grad Cohort workshop in hopes that this successful program replicates in areas around the world. Already we have seen events in India (7/2018) and Spain (10/2018) and another event is planned in Ireland early next year (2/2019). This year’s workshop will be held April 12-13, 2019 in Chicago, IL. We invite applications to attend now through January 15, 2019. You can find the form to apply at https://goo.gl/forms/aTWBDGYXWUgfO5BA3.
Other ACM-W News
Also appearing in this month’s newsletter:
- The Rocky Mountain Celebration of Women in Computing was held for the 6th time in November. Read all about this longstanding, successful event.
- The Student Chapters project kicks off another Facebook contest.
- ACM-W India reports on the Grace Hopper Celebration of India, which was held November 14-16 in Bangalore.
Thanks for standing with us as we work to fulfill our mission.
The Grace Hopper Celebration of women in computing, India GHCI2018co-sponsored by ACM is one of theleadingevent in Indian technology. Inthis event women technologists gathered at Bangalore to participate, learn and contribute to celebration thatrepresents excellence and diversity.
Why You Should Join ACM-W
If you think it is important to recruit and retain as many women as possible in the computing field, you should join ACM-W! Together, we will help celebrate, inform and support women in computing:
- Celebrate: One of the most popular ways to celebrate women in computing is by starting and/or attending an ACM-W Celebration of Women in Computing; the accomplishments of women in computing are at the heart of ACM-W’s e-Newsletter. And ACM-W encourages its members to celebrate the work of prominent women by nominating them for Awards — such as the Athena Award & Lecture — as well as ACM Advanced Grade Membership.
- Inform: Via ACM-W’s student scholarship program, young women are informed about the research going on, and become acquainted with the researchers, in their field. Members of ACM-W Student Chapters are informed about the educational and career opportunities available to them.
- Support: Lend your enthusiasm, inspiration, and support to ACM-W, and help make a difference in the global computing community!
When you join ACM, or renew your membership, check the box for ACM-W. You will be added to our email list and receive our ACM-W Connection newsletter.