ACM-W supports, celebrates, and advocates internationally for the full engagement of women in all aspects of the computing field, providing a wide range of programs and services to ACM members and working in the larger community to advance the contributions of technical women.
Our Corporate Supporters
We are very grateful for the support of several corporate sponsors. At present, ACM-W has funding from Oracle (through Oracle Academy), Microsoft Research, and Google for our scholarships, from Google for the Athena Lecturer Award, and continuing support from Microsoft Research for the Celebrations and for community college related activities. Thanks to their generosity in helping us to support, celebrate and advocate for women in computing.
Letter from ACM-W Chair
Regular readers of this newsletter are aware that ACM/ACM-W are partnering in the project A Global Approach to the Gender Gap in Mathematical, Computing, and Natural Sciences: How to Measure It, How to Reduce It. This multi-year project has three primary goals:
- Survey 45,000 individual scientists in all project-related disciplines to gather important data about the current state the scientific community. This survey is not just for women in computing but for all scientists regardless of gender.
- Perform an analysis of the publication records of scientists and report aggregate information on the state of publication within the scientific community.
- Create database of best practices for encouraging female participation in scientific disciplines and make these resources available for public access.
This past week, Reyyan Ayfer (ACM-W Vice-Chair) and I had the privilege of attending an annual coordination meeting of project partners in Paris, France, where we reported on the work ACM-W is doing to support the project. It was inspiring to see the energy and enthusiasm that the representatives of the project partners have for the successful completion of this effort. You can read more about the project and its partners at https://icsugendergapinscience.org/.
It is important that the Computer Science community have a strong representation in the survey portion of the project. Please take 15 minutes of your time to complete the survey, which can be accessed in one of seven languages, by visiting http://statisticalresearchcenter.org/global18 and encourage your colleagues and peers to do the same.
Other ACM-W News
This newsletter also includes the following from our project committees:
- The Celebrations project reports on the third annual Informatics for All, a Celebration of Women in Computing in Spain.
- The Toledo (OH, USA) ACM-W Professional Chapter, the second chapter charted in the US, is featured this month.
- The Student Chapter report announces a new community college chapter and the winners of this year’s Best Student Chapter Officer and Best Facebook Post contests.
Thanks for standing with us as we work to fulfill our mission.
Informatics for All, a Celebration of Women in Computing in Spain
The third edition of Informatics for All celebrations was celebrated in April 2018. It was held in La Nave, Madrid, and this year it was a two-day event.
Why You Should Join ACM-W
If you think it is important to recruit and retain as many women as possible in the computing field, you should join ACM-W! Together, we will help celebrate, inform and support women in computing:
- Celebrate: One of the most popular ways to celebrate women in computing is by starting and/or attending an ACM-W Celebration of Women in Computing; the accomplishments of women in computing are at the heart of ACM-W’s e-Newsletter. And ACM-W encourages its members to celebrate the work of prominent women by nominating them for Awards — such as the Athena Award & Lecture — as well as ACM Advanced Grade Membership.
- Inform: Via ACM-W’s student scholarship program, young women are informed about the research going on, and become acquainted with the researchers, in their field. Members of ACM-W Student Chapters are informed about the educational and career opportunities available to them.
- Support: Lend your enthusiasm, inspiration, and support to ACM-W, and help make a difference in the global computing community!
When you join ACM, or renew your membership, check the box for ACM-W. You will be added to our email list and receive our ACM-W Connection newsletter.