ACM-W supports, celebrates, and advocates internationally for the full engagement of women in all aspects of the computing field, providing a wide range of programs and services to ACM members and working in the larger community to advance the contributions of technical women.
Our Corporate Supporters
We are very grateful for the support of several corporate sponsors. At present, ACM-W has funding from Oracle (through Oracle Academy), Microsoft Research, and Google for our scholarships, from Google for the Athena Lecturer Award, and continuing support from Microsoft Research for the Celebrations and for community college related activities. Thanks to their generosity in helping us to support, celebrate and advocate for women in computing.
Letter from ACM-W Chair
The new year is off to a fast start for the Student Chapters project. This month’s report introduces six recently chartered chapters – welcome to ACM-W! Student Chapters chair Z Sweedyk, committee member Rachel Chesley, ACM-W member Melanie Williamson and I were pleased to meet many of our student chapter leaders and advisors while staffing our booth at the Grace Hopper Celebration in Houston. Those who visited the booth had the opportunity to pick up samples of the chapter’s stickers with an expanded array of images (see Chapter’s report below) and to learn about the new ACM-W Student Chapter Slack channel, which will help all of our student chapters worldwide connect with each other and share their stories. My thanks to Z and Rachel for their hard work in support of our Student Chapters!
Other ACM-W News
- womENcourage 2018, this year’s first ACM Celebration of Women in Computing, was held on October 3-5 in Belgrade, Serbia. ACM-W Europe provides a report from the event. For a complete list of 2018-2019 Celebration events visit https://women.acm.org/2018-2019-celebrations/.
- Aruquia Peixoto, ACM Council member, reports on SIGGRAPH CARES.
Reminder: Participate in the Global Survey project
It is important that the Computer Science community have a strong representation in the global survey being conducted by the project A Global Approach to the Gender Gap in Mathmatical, Computing, and Natural Sciences (https://icsugendergapinscience.org) . The goal is to collect responses from 45,000 scientists worldwide. Participation is not limited by gender and all undergraduate students, graduate students and professionals who have worked in computing are encouraged to respond. The survey will take approximately 15 minutes of your time to complete and can be accessed in one of seven languages, by visitinghttp://statisticalresearchcenter.org/global18. Please encourage your colleagues and peers to do the same.
Thanks for standing with us as we work to fulfill our mission.
“Brilliant experience, fun and inspiring” sums up womENcourage 2018. womENcourage 2018 excelled at our goals with 94% of respondents clearly were inspired and encouraged by the keynote speeches, workshops, panels, posters and the role models. WomENcourage 2018 attracted a diverse group from 23 different countries who are working in different industries and are different age groups. Serbia has the largest delegation at 29.3%, followed by the UK with 22.3% of attendees. Fifty-seven percent of attendees were young people from 17 to 30 and we have topped our gender diversity attendance from all other years, with 11.3% male attendees. We, as attendees, came from different careers which included academia, media, multinational technology companies and the private sector.
Why You Should Join ACM-W
If you think it is important to recruit and retain as many women as possible in the computing field, you should join ACM-W! Together, we will help celebrate, inform and support women in computing:
- Celebrate: One of the most popular ways to celebrate women in computing is by starting and/or attending an ACM-W Celebration of Women in Computing; the accomplishments of women in computing are at the heart of ACM-W’s e-Newsletter. And ACM-W encourages its members to celebrate the work of prominent women by nominating them for Awards — such as the Athena Award & Lecture — as well as ACM Advanced Grade Membership.
- Inform: Via ACM-W’s student scholarship program, young women are informed about the research going on, and become acquainted with the researchers, in their field. Members of ACM-W Student Chapters are informed about the educational and career opportunities available to them.
- Support: Lend your enthusiasm, inspiration, and support to ACM-W, and help make a difference in the global computing community!
When you join ACM, or renew your membership, check the box for ACM-W. You will be added to our email list and receive our ACM-W Connection newsletter.