ACM-W supports, celebrates, and advocates internationally for the full engagement of women in all aspects of the computing field, providing a wide range of programs and services to ACM members and working in the larger community to advance the contributions of technical women.
Our Corporate Supporters
We are very grateful for the support of several corporate sponsors. At present, ACM-W has funding from Oracle (through Oracle Academy), Microsoft Research, and Google for our scholarships, from Google for the Athena Lecturer Award, and continuing support from Microsoft Research for the Celebrations and for community college related activities. Thanks to their generosity in helping us to support, celebrate and advocate for women in computing.
Letter from ACM-W Chair
Over the past five years, the growth in ACM-W Student Chapters has been nothing short of amazing. January 2013 saw the chartering of the 11th ACM-W Student Chapter. Now there are 148 such chapters worldwide! As more and more young women in computing become young professionals in computing, it is our hope that we can see a similar growth in ACM-W Professional Chapters. If you are an alum of an ACM-W Student Chapter, I encourage you to consider starting an ACM-W Professional Chapter in your area or joining the one that already exists (see the Professional Chapters report for more info). Vibrant chapters will build the next generation of ACM/ACM-W members, ensuring that the good work on behalf of women in computing continues well into the future.
Participate in the Global Survey project before December 31st!!
Over the past several months, many in the Computer Science community have participated in the global survey being conducted by the project A Global Approach to the Gender Gap in Mathematical, Computing, and Natural Sciences (https://icsugendergapinscience.org). The goal is to collect responses from 45,000 scientists worldwide. If you have not yet had the chance to complete the survey, please do so by December 31st. Participation is not limited by gender and all undergraduate students, graduate students and professionals who have worked in computing are encouraged to respond. The survey will take approximately 15 minutes of your time to complete and can be accessed in one of seven languages, by visiting http://statisticalresearchcenter.org/global18. Please encourage your colleagues and peers to do the same.
International Grad Cohort program: 2019 applications being accepted
For the past two years, ACM-W has been sponsoring teams of 2-3 people from countries outside of North America to attend the CRA-W Grad Cohort workshop in hopes that this successful program replicates in areas around the world. Already we have seen events in India (7/2018) and Spain (10/2018) and another event is planned in Ireland early next year (2/2019). This year’s workshop will be held April 12-13, 2019 in Chicago, IL. We invite applications to attend now through January 15, 2019. You can find the form to apply at https://goo.gl/forms/aTWBDGYXWUgfO5BA3.
Other ACM-W News
Reports from several of our programs appear this month:
- The Celebrations project highlights the ACM Canadian Celebration of Women in Computing (CAN-CWiC).
- Professional Chapters and Next Generation are looking to connect with ACM-W Student Chapter alums and other young professionals who would like to engage with ACM-W.
- The Scholarships Committee bids farewell to its longtime chair, Adriana Compagnoni, and welcomes its new leader, Viviana Bono.
- ACM-W India features the 3rd National ACM Women Hackathon. This exciting competition began with a pool of 300 teams and culminated with the top 10 teams going head to head in a competition held at Ahmedabad University on October 7th and 8th.
Thanks for standing with us as we work to fulfill our mission.
To celebrate and promote women in computing, the ACM Ahmedabad chapter along with the ACM women chapter of Ahmedabad University, Oracle Academy and Tata Consultancy Services, organized 3rd National level ACM Women Hackathon 2018 on 7th and 8th October, 2018, under the theme “Sustainable Smart Society”.
Why You Should Join ACM-W
If you think it is important to recruit and retain as many women as possible in the computing field, you should join ACM-W! Together, we will help celebrate, inform and support women in computing:
- Celebrate: One of the most popular ways to celebrate women in computing is by starting and/or attending an ACM-W Celebration of Women in Computing; the accomplishments of women in computing are at the heart of ACM-W’s e-Newsletter. And ACM-W encourages its members to celebrate the work of prominent women by nominating them for Awards — such as the Athena Award & Lecture — as well as ACM Advanced Grade Membership.
- Inform: Via ACM-W’s student scholarship program, young women are informed about the research going on, and become acquainted with the researchers, in their field. Members of ACM-W Student Chapters are informed about the educational and career opportunities available to them.
- Support: Lend your enthusiasm, inspiration, and support to ACM-W, and help make a difference in the global computing community!
When you join ACM, or renew your membership, check the box for ACM-W. You will be added to our email list and receive our ACM-W Connection newsletter.