ACM-W supports, celebrates, and advocates internationally for the full engagement of women in all aspects of the computing field, providing a wide range of programs and services to ACM members and working in the larger community to advance the contributions of technical women.
Our Corporate Supporters
We are very grateful for the support of several corporate sponsors. At present, ACM-W has funding from Oracle (through Oracle Academy), Microsoft Research, and Google for our scholarships, from Google for the Athena Lecturer Award, and continuing support from Microsoft Research for the Celebrations and for community college related activities. Thanks to their generosity in helping us to support, celebrate and advocate for women in computing.
Letter from ACM-W chair
Back in December, we announced the launch of our Professional Chapters project and welcomed Rachelle Hippler and Laura Spencer to the ACM-W Council to co-chair this effort. This month we are celebrating the April 25th chartering of the OCWiC ACM-W Professional Chapter – the first within the United States! I am personally thrilled and proud that the women of Ohio have achieved this milestone. The OCWiC Celebration was my first introduction to ACM-W and the community of women with whom I’ve shared my women-in-computing journey continues to provide inspiration for me and leadership for women in computing all over Ohio in so many ways. I hope we see many more ACM-W Professional Chapters rise up all over the US and around the world in order that we can further our mission in new and meaningful directions. You can read more about the OCWiC ACM-W Professional Chapter later in this newsletter.
Thank you, Oracle!
ACM-W sends a sincere “Thank you!” to Oracle for its generous $24,000 donation in support of our scholarships program. By continuing to invest in ACM-W Scholarships, Oracle’s gift will enable 20 domestic and 10 international undergraduate and/or graduate students to participate in technical research conferences that they might not otherwise have had the opportunity to attend. We will highlight the experiences of these Oracle Scholars in future editions of Connections.
Gender Gap survey is live
The 2018 Global Survey of Mathematical, Computing, and Natural Scientists launched on May 1st, 2018 and will remain open until October 31st, 2018. ACM-W has been active in the creation of this survey and encourages all ACM/ACM-W members to participate and assist us in promoting the survey to all professionals in these disciplines. Persons of all genders and computing backgrounds are welcome to responds. The survey is available in seven languages and can be accessed at http://statisticalresearchcenter.org/global18. The goal is 45,000 respondent (although more are welcome!) within the six month period.
Other ACM-W News
This newsletter also includes the following from our project committees:
- The inaugural Polish Celebration of Women in Computing is the focus of the Celebrations report.
- Chapter award news appears in the Student Chapters report along with the introduction of two new ACM-W Student Chapters.
- The workshop/tutorial deadline of womENcourage is June 15. Details on submission of proposals appear in the news from ACM-W Europe.
Thanks for standing with us as we work to fulfill our mission.
Spotlight on Ohio’s OCWiC ACM-W Professional Chapter
We are pleased to announce the formation of the first ACM-W Professional Chapter in the U.S. Ohio’s OCWiC ACM-W chapter was chartered on April 25th and hit the ground running. By being able to name the chapter in a way that complements their regional celebration they are poised to become a community hub for sharing ideas and resources across the state.
Why You Should Join ACM-W
If you think it is important to recruit and retain as many women as possible in the computing field, you should join ACM-W! Together, we will help celebrate, inform and support women in computing:
- Celebrate: One of the most popular ways to celebrate women in computing is by starting and/or attending an ACM-W Celebration of Women in Computing; the accomplishments of women in computing are at the heart of ACM-W’s e-Newsletter. And ACM-W encourages its members to celebrate the work of prominent women by nominating them for Awards — such as the Athena Award & Lecture — as well as ACM Advanced Grade Membership.
- Inform: Via ACM-W’s student scholarship program, young women are informed about the research going on, and become acquainted with the researchers, in their field. Members of ACM-W Student Chapters are informed about the educational and career opportunities available to them.
- Support: Lend your enthusiasm, inspiration, and support to ACM-W, and help make a difference in the global computing community!
When you join ACM, or renew your membership, check the box for ACM-W. You will be added to our email list and receive our ACM-W Connection newsletter.