ACM-W supports, celebrates, and advocates internationally for the full engagement of women in all aspects of the computing field, providing a wide range of programs and services to ACM members and working in the larger community to advance the contributions of technical women.
Our Corporate Supporters
We are very grateful for the support of several corporate sponsors. At present, ACM-W has funding from Oracle (through Oracle Academy), Microsoft Research, and Google for our scholarships, from Google for the Athena Lecturer Award, and continuing support from Microsoft Research for the Celebrations and for community college-related activities. Thanks to their generosity in helping us to support, celebrate and advocate for women in computing.
Letter from ACM-W Chair
Happy New Year! 2019 promises to be another exciting year for ACM-W. There are nineteen Celebrations planned over the next five months. See our website for information on where and when they will occur and, if there is one near you, plan to attend. It is truly inspiring to see the excitement at these events and the impact of this program over the years is notable. More than 15,000 students, faculty members and industry professionals have participated in nearly 120 Celebrations worldwide since 2003. Visit our Facebook page and view the video posted by the organizers of the Karachi, Pakistan event that occurred on December 15-16 – you will be glad you did!
Thanks for participating in the Gender Gap Survey!
December marked the official end of the survey portion of A Global Approach to the Gender Gap in Mathematical, Computing, and Natural Sciences (https://icsugendergapinscience.org). Thanks to all who helped make it possible for 32,000 responses to be collected (3335 in computing). The data analysis phase is now underway and findings will be reported later in this third and final year of the project.
Grad Cohort Funding – Application Deadline Extended!
The deadline to apply for funding to attend the CRA-W Grad Cohort workshop is extended one week to January 22, 2019. Funding allows teams of 3-4 faculty/industry professionals to travel to Chicago, IL and observe the April 12-13 workshop. The goal is to establish similar workshops outside of the US. Past attendees from India, Spain and Ireland have been successful in organizing workshops in their countries. You can find the form to apply at https://goo.gl/forms/aTWBDGYXWUgfO5BA3.
Other ACM-W News
Also appearing in this month’s newsletter:
- ACM-W Europe puts out a call for participation in womENcourage 2019.
- A report from the 3rd Ukranian Celebration of Women in Computing, which was held in early December.
- The ACM-W Scholarships report announces the latest round of awardees. Congratulations to the recipients!
Thanks for standing with us as we work to fulfill our mission.
The Facebook Student Chapters contests are so much fun! We love to see what the chapters have accomplished. To encourage more FB posts, we are announcing a monthly contest. Each month we’ll choose the best post and award a $50 prize.
Why You Should Join ACM-W
If you think it is important to recruit and retain as many women as possible in the computing field, you should join ACM-W! Together, we will help celebrate, inform and support women in computing:
- Celebrate: One of the most popular ways to celebrate women in computing is by starting and/or attending an ACM-W Celebration of Women in Computing; the accomplishments of women in computing are at the heart of ACM-W’s e-Newsletter. And ACM-W encourages its members to celebrate the work of prominent women by nominating them for Awards — such as the Athena Award & Lecture — as well as ACM Advanced Grade Membership.
- Inform: Via ACM-W’s student scholarship program, young women are informed about the research going on, and become acquainted with the researchers, in their field. Members of ACM-W Student Chapters are informed about the educational and career opportunities available to them.
- Support: Lend your enthusiasm, inspiration, and support to ACM-W, and help make a difference in the global computing community!
When you join ACM, or renew your membership, check the box for ACM-W. You will be added to our email list and receive our ACM-W Connection newsletter.