ACM-W supports, celebrates, and advocates internationally for the full engagement of women in all aspects of the computing field, providing a wide range of programs and services to ACM members and working in the larger community to advance the contributions of technical women.
Our Corporate Supporters
We are very grateful for the support of several corporate sponsors. At present, ACM-W has funding from Oracle (through Oracle Academy), Microsoft Research, and Google for our scholarships, from Google for the Athena Lecturer Award, and continuing support from Microsoft Research for the Celebrations and for community college-related activities. Thanks to their generosity in helping us to support, celebrate and advocate for women in computing.
Welcome from the ACM-W Chair
As was announced in the April newsletter, ACM-W is undergoing an organizational restructuring that will better support our global growth and project support into the future. Thanks to those of you who nominated for leadership positions in the newly formed ACM-W North America and the Rising Star Award Committee. Decisions on those positions will be made soon.
Three additional leadership positions on the ACM-W strategic leadership team are next in line to be filled. Those positions are:
- Standing Committees Chair – planning and oversight of cross-cutting projects of ACM-W including the Scholarships program and efforts to attract the next generation of computing professionals
- Communications Chair – development and oversight of ACM-W’s communication strategy including the web site, social media participation, and the monthly newsletter
- Treasurer – oversight of budgeting in collaboration with the ACM-W chair
We are now accepting (self) nominations for these three positions. If you are interested in joining our team or know of someone who is a good fit for a leadership role, please visit the online nomination form at https://docs.google.com/forms/d/12QsyqR3_wz7JpFBkSr2Ce0jvqWH-oN9fnOL_HMBkxeQ/edit. If you are unable to access the form for any reason, please contact me at email@example.com and I’ll be happy to assist.
Other ACM-W News
Also appearing in this month’s newsletter:
- Catherine Lang reports on the successful workshop held in Chengdu, China last month.
- The ENTER: Celebration of Women in Computing, held in Belgrade, Serbia in April, is featured in the Celebrations report.
- The Student Chapters report introduces two of the newest chapter.
- The Scholarships project invites readers to visit their newly upgraded website to read stories of scholarship awardee experiences at the conference they attended.
- AI for Good Global Summit 2019 is featured in the ACM-W Europe report. ACM-WE chair Natasa Milic-Frayling represented ACM-W at the event.
- ACM-W India announces the second annual grad cohort workshop to be held in Delhi this July
Thanks for standing with us as we work to fulfill our mission.
This month we are very happy to report that, after much work backstage on the ACM-W webpages and the databases that support them, we are now able to post the “trip reports” of our awardees online at https://women.acm.org/scholars/acm-w-scholars/?sch_year=2019.
Why You Should Join ACM-W
If you think it is important to recruit and retain as many women as possible in the computing field, you should join ACM-W! Together, we will help celebrate, inform and support women in computing:
- Celebrate: One of the most popular ways to celebrate women in computing is by starting and/or attending an ACM-W Celebration of Women in Computing; the accomplishments of women in computing are at the heart of ACM-W’s e-Newsletter. And ACM-W encourages its members to celebrate the work of prominent women by nominating them for Awards — such as the Athena Award & Lecture — as well as ACM Advanced Grade Membership.
- Inform: Via ACM-W’s student scholarship program, young women are informed about the research going on, and become acquainted with the researchers, in their field. Members of ACM-W Student Chapters are informed about the educational and career opportunities available to them.
- Support: Lend your enthusiasm, inspiration, and support to ACM-W, and help make a difference in the global computing community!
When you join ACM, or renew your membership, check the box for ACM-W. You will be added to our email list and receive our ACM-W Connection newsletter.