ACM Celebrations of Women in Computing
The goal of the ACM Celebrations of Women in Computing is to connect technical women who are working/studying within a particular geographical location – with locations that could be a single city, a state or group of states, a country, or several countries. These conferences build community and break down feelings of isolation. Our intention is to reach the broadest possible populations through an international network of self-sustaining small conferences, dovetailing when possible with ACM-W chapters.
Requirements for Celebrations
- Events must be branded with ACM in the title of your Celebration or as a subtitle. For example, “The ACM Northwest Celebration of Women in Computing” or “The Northwest Celebration of Women in Computing, An ACM Celebration”. This must be clearly indicated on your website and on promotional materials.
- The event must be at least one full day in length (preferably longer) and feature speakers or workshop leaders from diverse backgrounds.
- Include attendees from a diverse population — that is, from more than one area or school.
- Although all events are different, your event ideally should contain speakers, panels, workshops, a career fair and opportunities for student presentations
ACM-W provides $3,000 for each celebration, and also raises and disburses corporate sponsorship. Each celebration organizing committee is responsible for additional fundraising within their conference area. The goal is to keep the costs as low as possible for student attendees, with registration fees in the $0-$50 USD range. If you are interested in becoming a sponsor for this project, please contact Jodi Tims at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Microsoft Research currently sponsors the Celebrations project by providing $3,000 for each ACM-W Celebration. We are very grateful for this support!!
Support ACM-W provides affiliated Celebration
- Use of ACM RegOnLine and PayPal accounts
- ACM web site hosting for celebration site.
- ACM will also hold conference funds, pay invoices, and review venue contracts.
- Events that have undergone ACM contract review are covered by ACM’s liability insurance.
- Access to sponsorship funds that have been raised by ACM-W.
- ACM-W coordinates shipment of swag from industry sponsors, from ACM, and from ACM-W.
- Advice and support from those who have organized events in the past
Not convinced yet? Check out…
- General information about the Celebrations project
- Regional Celebrations-in-a-Box: Connecting Communities of Technical Women
- A resource developed with the National Center for Women and Information Technology (NCWIT)
- 101 Ideas for Planning Celebrations
- Process for starting an ACM-W Celebration
For more information about hosting an event, contact Wendy Powley, Chair of the Celebrations Committee.
Celebrations Committee Members
Wendy Powley, Chair
Rachelle Kristof Hippler, Survey Coordinator
Martha Kosa, Table Drape Coordinator
Alina Lazar, Administrative Communications
Suchita Ganesan, Newsletter Correspondent
Farzana Rahman, Social Media Correspondent
Virginia Grande, European Celebrations
Joy Yen, Webmaster