ACM-W supports, celebrates, and advocates internationally for the full engagement of women in all aspects of the computing field, providing a wide range of programs and services to ACM members and working in the larger community to advance the contributions of technical women.
Our Corporate Supporters
We are very grateful for the support of several corporate sponsors. At present, ACM-W has funding from both Oracle (through Oracle Academy) and Google for our scholarship program, and continuing support from Microsoft Research for the Celebrations. Thanks to their generosity in helping us to support, celebrate and advocate for women in computing.
ACM-W Celebrations Heads Into a New Year
-- Jodi Tims, Celebrations Project Chair
The 2014-2015 academic year promises to be another exciting one for the Celebrations Project. This fall will see conferences in Goa, India (September 25-26), Ontario, Canada (October 24-25), and the Rocky Mountain region (October 23-25). During the spring semester, there will be 10 additional celebrations including anticipated first-time events in Abu Dhabi and Cuba.
Information on starting new Celebrations and resources that can aide in conference planning can be found on our web site (http://women.acm.org/celebrations). Please contact me for any additional assistance (email@example.com) and I’ll be happy to help.
I’d also like to take this opportunity to publicly thank all of the women on the Celebrations committee who help support the project:
Rachelle Hippler – Bowling Green State University, Firelands Campus
Martha Kosa – Tennessee Technological University
Wendy Powley – Queen’s University at Kingston, Ontario
The hard work and dedication of this group of volunteers is invaluable! Each month’s ACM-W Connections will include a report from a recent Celebration, so be sure to read those and see the amazing impact that this project is having on the students, faculty, and industry attendees at these events. We are once again grateful to Microsoft Research for their continued support of the Celebrations project, providing funding for each of the 2014-2015 events. Raytheon Corp. has also provided support for several of the upcoming events. This corporate support helps make it possible for us to celebrate women in computing all over the world.
Check out our growing international reach, more information on our International page:
- India - ACM-W India
- ACM-W India had a full day program as part of the ACM-India Annual Event. Check it out here.
- Europe - ACM-W Europe
- Don't miss the article in the July issue of Communications of the ACM about European Women in Computing.
- Arab region - ArabWIC
- Australasian Celebration of Women in Computing - AWIC
- First Caribbean Celebration of Women in Computing - CCWIC
- The fall 2013 Ontario Celebration of Women in Computing - ONCWIC
Why You Should Join ACM-W
If you think it is important to recruit and retain as many women as possible in the computing field, you should join ACM-W! Together, we will help celebrate, inform and support women in computing:
- Celebrate: One of the most popular ways to celebrate women in computing is by starting and/or attending an ACM-W Celebration of Women in Computing; the accomplishments of women in computing are at the heart of ACM-W's e-Newsletter and Blog. And ACM-W encourages its members to celebrate the work of prominent women by nominating them for Awards -- such as the Athena Award & Lecture -- as well as ACM Advanced Grade Membership.
- Inform: Via ACM-W's student scholarship program, young women are informed about the research going on, and become acquainted with the researchers, in their field. Members of ACM-W Student Chapters are informed about the educational and career opportunities available to them.
- Support: Lend your enthusiasm, inspiration, and support to ACM-W, and help make a difference in the global computing community!
When you join ACM, or renew your membership, check the box for ACM-W. You will be added to our email list and receive our ACM-W Connection newsletter.