ACM-W supports, celebrates, and advocates internationally for the full engagement of women in all aspects of the computing field, providing a wide range of programs and services to ACM members and working in the larger community to advance the contributions of technical women.
Our Corporate Supporters
We are very grateful for the support of several corporate sponsors. At present, ACM-W has funding from Oracle (through Oracle Academy), Microsoft Research, and Google for our scholarships, from Google for the Athena Lecturer Award, and continuing support from Microsoft Research for the Celebrations and for community college related activities. Thanks to their generosity in helping us to support, celebrate and advocate for women in computing.
Letter from ACM-W chair
Welcome to the April, 2016, issue of ACM-W Connections.
Our new subcommittee that is handling People of ACM-W has already produced their second interview! This month we feature their interview with our very own Gloria Townsend. It would be impossible to adequately express all that Gloria has done for ACM-W – she’s been an amazing force, initiating the very idea of ACM-W Celebrations and helping to launch many of the events that still run today. She has also overseen a huge growth in the number of ACM-W chapters. You definitely should read the interview. And a hearty thanks to Gloria for all that she has contributed to ACM-W and to our entire community over her long and rich career!
This month we also feature the recent Celebration in Mayaguez, Puerto Rico (one of the 4 events that have already taken place this month, with the others in New York City, upstate New York, and Southern California).
We’ve got news from Scholarships, from ACM-W Europe, and a number of announcements of events and opportunities. Please check it out.
Thanks to Oracle for stepping up again to support the ACM-W scholarship program with another donation of $24K for the next two years. We are very grateful for this ongoing support.
Volunteer with us!
Two opportunities this month:
- The ACM-W Chapters Committee seeks a volunteer to help lead a "contests" project. The volunteer would advertise the contests (after designing the application) on our Facebook pages, in our listserv, and in the newsletter. S/he would also receive submissions and judge winners. Finally s/he would congratulate winners on our Facebook pages and in the newsletter. At present, we anticipate two contests: Best poster advertising ACM-W Chapters and Best ACM-W Chapter Leader.
- Do you live in Texas? Want to help launch an ACM-W Celebration there? Please be in touch!
Where’s ACM-W This Month?
We have one more Celebration coming up in April –in Baku, Azerbaijan. We’re very excited by the increasing international activity. I’m also heading to Pomona College -- it’s not for ACM-W business, but I will get to visit with Melanie Wu, our great communications chair. It’s thanks to Melanie that we are able to bring you this newsletter every month.
Thanks, as always, for your work on behalf of women in computing!
~Valerie Barr, ACM-W Chair
People of ACM-W
Dr. Gloria Childress Townsend is a Professor of Computer Science at DePauw University where she has taught for over 36 years. Dr. Townsend has served on the ACM-W Executive Board and is currently the Chair of the ACM-W Chapters Committee. She has been a founder and organizer for ACM-W Celebrations of Women in Computing and is a passionate advocate for women in computing.
Read an interview with Townsend here.
Why You Should Join ACM-W
If you think it is important to recruit and retain as many women as possible in the computing field, you should join ACM-W! Together, we will help celebrate, inform and support women in computing:
- Celebrate: One of the most popular ways to celebrate women in computing is by starting and/or attending an ACM-W Celebration of Women in Computing; the accomplishments of women in computing are at the heart of ACM-W's e-Newsletter. And ACM-W encourages its members to celebrate the work of prominent women by nominating them for Awards -- such as the Athena Award & Lecture -- as well as ACM Advanced Grade Membership.
- Inform: Via ACM-W's student scholarship program, young women are informed about the research going on, and become acquainted with the researchers, in their field. Members of ACM-W Student Chapters are informed about the educational and career opportunities available to them.
- Support: Lend your enthusiasm, inspiration, and support to ACM-W, and help make a difference in the global computing community!
When you join ACM, or renew your membership, check the box for ACM-W. You will be added to our email list and receive our ACM-W Connection newsletter.