ACM-W supports, celebrates, and advocates internationally for the full engagement of women in all aspects of the computing field, providing a wide range of programs and services to ACM members and working in the larger community to advance the contributions of technical women.
Our Corporate Supporters
We are very grateful for the support of several corporate sponsors. At present, ACM-W has funding from both Oracle (through Oracle Academy) and Google for our scholarship program, and continuing support from Microsoft Research for the Celebrations. Thanks to their generosity in helping us to support, celebrate and advocate for women in computing.
ACM-W Celebrations: A Year in Review and A Look Ahead
-- Jodi Tims, Celebrations Project Chair
The Celebrations project has many reasons to celebrate as we close out the 2013-2014 year:
- There were a total of 14 events held in 2013-2014, including first-time conferences in Puerto Rico, Europe, and the Vancouver/Washington state region. Over 2000 students, faculty members, and sponsors attended these events.
- ACM-W sponsored eight student poster winners and several conference coordinators to attend the Grace Hopper Celebration in Minneapolis, MN in October, 2013. In most cases this was the first opportunity that these women had to experience GHC and all were positively impacted by the experience.
- With the help of two of my Baldwin Wallace University students, Jayme Frantz and Deanna Biesan, a web application has been developed to support the administrative side of the Celebrations project. We are rolling this out very soon and each conference will be able to provide relevant data for its events. We will also be able to use the site to broadcast communications to coordinators and provide access to resources.
- Over the summer a survey will be developed that can be used by all Celebrations to evaluate their events. Details on this project will be forthcoming as we approach the fall semester.
As we look forward to 2014-2015, we anticipate 13-15 Celebrations will be held including new international ones in Abu Dhabi and Cuba! A list of Celebrations can be found at http://women.acm.org/celebrations and will be updated as details become available.
I want to extend a heart-felt "Thank you!" to all of the women (and men) who have worked so hard to make the Celebrations project such a huge success. The tireless effort of the volunteers involved makes it possible for us to impact the lives of many women in computing.
Check out our growing international reach, more information on our International page:
- India - ACM-W India
- ACM-W India had a full day program as part of the ACM-India Annual Event. Check it out here.
- Europe - ACM-W Europe
- Don't miss the article in the July issue of Communications of the ACM about European Women in Computing.
- Arab region - ArabWIC
- Australasian Celebration of Women in Computing - AWIC
- First Caribbean Celebration of Women in Computing - CCWIC
- The fall 2013 Ontario Celebration of Women in Computing - ONCWIC
Why You Should Join ACM-W
If you think it is important to recruit and retain as many women as possible in the computing field, you should join ACM-W! Together, we will help celebrate, inform and support women in computing:
- Celebrate: One of the most popular ways to celebrate women in computing is by starting and/or attending an ACM-W Celebration of Women in Computing; the accomplishments of women in computing are at the heart of ACM-W's e-Newsletter and Blog. And ACM-W encourages its members to celebrate the work of prominent women by nominating them for Awards -- such as the Athena Award & Lecture -- as well as ACM Advanced Grade Membership.
- Inform: Via ACM-W's student scholarship program, young women are informed about the research going on, and become acquainted with the researchers, in their field. Members of ACM-W Student Chapters are informed about the educational and career opportunities available to them.
- Support: Lend your enthusiasm, inspiration, and support to ACM-W, and help make a difference in the global computing community!
When you join ACM, or renew your membership, check the box for ACM-W. You will be added to our email list and receive our ACM-W Connection newsletter.